NIGERIA INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM (NIGF 2019)
The Nigeria Internet Governance Forum Multi-stakeholders Advisory Group (NIGF-MAG), comprising of the Federal Ministry of Communications (MoC), National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NIRA), Internet Society Nigeria Chapter (ISOC NG), DigitalSENSE Africa Media, Creative Technology Development International (CTDL), and Global Network for Cyber Solution (GNC), in collaboration with the Internet community stakeholders is holding its 2019 edition of the Internet Governance Forum in Lagos.
Venue: Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos Island, Lagos State, Nigeria
Date: July 11, 2019.
Time: 8 am
The overarching theme for the 2019 Edition is ‘‘Enabling Digital Commonwealth for Development’’. The Honourable Minister of Communications, Barrister Abdur-Raheem Adebayo Shittu, is the Special Guest of Honour, and will declare the forum open.
The NIGF 2019 will be preceded by two other events;
- the Nigerian School of Internet Governance co-hosted with the Nigerian Chapter of the Internet Society. (www.sig.ng)
- Nigeria Youth Internet Governance Forum with the theme “Our Internet; Shaping the digital future” scheduled for the 10th of July, 2019. Details of the event can be found at www.yigf.org.ng .
Objectives of NIGF 2019:
- To ensure digital inclusion for local Internet initiative through education
- To proffer solutions to enable the diversification of the economy through innovation and protection of local content.
- To proffer solutions in enabling people-centred Data Protection and Privacy Regulations.
- To discuss ways the Internet can be used to address the developmental crisis in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals ( SDGs).
- To highlight policies that would address multiple state actors regulation in Nigeria.
The forum is expected to achieve the following outcomes:
- Stakeholders would be informed with ideas, solutions and interventions relevant for addressing the local internet initiative in their various communities.
- Provide common approaches and stakeholders’ consensus for impact through innovation and protection of local content.
- Opportunity for Internet governance policy public hearing and open consultative process in response to the regional and global IGF demand for local inclusion.
- Stimulate the government and stakeholders’ commitment to the adoption and implementation of the outcome document.
- Stimulate the government and stakeholders on the policies relating to data privacy and regulation.
- Strengthen stakeholders’ partnership for the improvement of the local Internet Governance process
- Empower the youth for greater Internet productivity and innovations
- Harmonize the local multi-stakeholder positions, input and contributions into the regional IGF and global Internet Governance Forum.
- provide approaches on issues relating to multiple state actors
NIGF 2019 would be taking into consideration the overarching thematic sessions of the global IGF and harmonizing the inputs of Nigerian stakeholders into the Regional Global IGF framework covering: Cybersecurity and Trust; Internet Economy; Access, Inclusiveness, Diversity and Openness; Critical Internet Resources; and Emerging Issues.
The NIGF Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group (NIGF-MAG) have concluded arrangement to make this year edition more significant in addressing the national issues and open to stakeholders with the opportunities to share, discuss, and collaborate together towards addressing critical national issues on the digital commonwealth for development.
In the past seven years, NIGF has evolved into an inclusive Internet policy dialogue mechanism contributing to national development. 2019 is another significant year for NIGF, a time the stakeholders are demanding a commitment from all Actors to the digital development of the country.
The NIGF provides a platform for national dialogue, interactions, contributions and exchange of ideas on challenging and emerging policy issues relating to public policy issues on the Internet and Internet Governance Ecosystem. It offers opportunities for stakeholders from the Governments, Civil Society, Businesses, Technical Community, Academia, youth and women including development partners and multinational corporations operating in the Nigerian Internet ecosystem to come together, harnesses ideas, builds consensus and offers collective solutions to the thematic sessions.
Through the consistent annual IGF program over these seven years, the Nigeria Internet Governance Process continues to provide a regional IG benchmark which has inspired other national IG initiatives in the ECOWAS sub-region and Africa.
The NIGF 2019 major tracks in line with the Global IGF Agenda and other details can be found at www.nigf.org.ng. For further enquiry and exclusive corporate support please call 08037017537